Low Or Double-Height Houses: Advantages And Disadvantages
A new construction project requires a lot of time, many plans, many layouts … until we find what we are really looking for. One of the first questions to ask yourself is whether you want a low-rise or double-height home. Sometimes if the land is not very large, you will be forced to make a double height house to have more square meters, but on other occasions, when the land area is large enough, you can choose between one option or the other.
We are going to do a study on the advantages and disadvantages of building a low, double-height house.
Advantages of a low house
- The main advantage that will come to mind is probably the absence of stairs . If you are young, probably when building the house, do not think about this future problem. But over the years, your agility will be seriously affected and the stairs will have become an inconvenience for your day to day.
- When it comes to building a low-rise home, you will see how the costs are less high than if you decide to raise it to a second floor. The investment in materials will be much less than if you decide to make a house popularly known as “folded.”
- Although you can build a double-height house with a patio, normally the dimensions of this area are not usually as large as in houses with a ground floor. Remember that a garden is a very useful space especially for the summer and for those homes where there are children.
- You will have more luminosity. Opting for a home with these characteristics will make all of it illuminated in the same way. You can also create open spaces by visually multiplying the dimensions in the event that you do not have many square meters or do not want a house that is too large.
Disadvantages of a low house
- The security of low houses can decrease when being at street level. Despite putting bars on the windows, armored doors or security alarms, access to these homes is much easier for friends of others. You will have to invest more resources so that it does not become an unsafe home.
- You may also see privacy reduced for the same reason we mentioned earlier: being very close to the street and pedestrians.
- Remember that noise can also be an inconvenience. You will hear the cars or buses go by as well as the people who are walking near your house.
- In the event of flooding, you may suffer more damage because it is easier for water to enter the house.
- There is a greater chance of dirt coming in from the street as you are closer to cars. Normally more dust is generated and you will notice how the walls of the house are darkening as a result of the smoke from the vehicles.
Now we are going to comment, as we have done with one-story houses, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a two-story house. In this case, the houses with two floors can be divided in two ways: that the ground floor is dedicated exclusively to the construction of a garage or that on the other hand the house is divided into two having the living room, kitchen and bathroom downstairs and the bedrooms upstairs.
Advantages of a double house
- It gives much more play when it comes to distributing the spaces, creating them continuously . You can design more open-plan rooms to give your home an original and modern style.
- If you make a good distribution on the plans, you will achieve that the lighting that is projected on the top floor, also reaches the one below without the need to abuse artificial light in the lower part.
- You will achieve more independence and silence in the bedrooms if you distribute them upstairs.
But as we have been saying before, you will also find some disadvantages if you choose a home like this.
- It is more complicated to heat a home with this distribution because the heat will tend to rise to the top, leaving the rooms below a little colder. Therefore, the cost of heating will be higher to get the whole house to heat better.
- Having the house divided into two floors will make you have to go up and down the stairs many times every day . If you look at it on the good side, you will exercise, but surely in the end you will end up getting tired.
Knowing the characteristics of both options, if in your case you can decide what type of distribution to make of the home, take into account all these factors and decide on the one that convinces you the most. It is a very important decision so give it the time it takes to finally make the right one.
Leave a Reply